The park was founded in 1874 and is one of the oldest parks in Kyiv. Like the Palace next to it, the Park was named after the wife of the Emperor Alexander II, Maria Alexandrovna. Until the mid-19th century, there were governorate institutions on the site of the park. After the construction of the Pechersk Fortress, the area was cleared of buildings, and in 1869 it received its official name of the Palace Square. In 1900, a cast-iron fountain by Oleksii Termen made using the technology of recycling ferrous metal scrap and the remains of metallurgical production was installed here. A monument to General Vatutin and several park sculptures are among the preserved monuments.
Mariinskyi Park laid out in a landscape style has well-equipped recreation areas and sightseeing platforms offering a view of the river Dnieper and its Left Bank. The place in front of the Verkhovna Rada is often used for gatherings of activists, and youths roller skate, run longboards, and dance in front of the Mariinskyi Palace in the summer.