The pharmacy in this house was opened by a German, Johann Geiter, back in 1728. It became the first pharmacy in Kyiv, and until the 1770s it had remained the only private pharmacy in the capital. Medicines had been sold here until 1839. Then the owners and the functionality of the building changed constantly, until the museum opened here in 1988, and the pharmacy resumed its activities.
The museum collection includes over 50,000 exhibits, including pharmacy furniture of the 18th and 19th centuries, samples of pharmaceutical utensils from different eras, fragments of manuscripts from the times of Kyivan Rus, textbooks on medicine and therapy. The exhibition occupies 12 halls. Some of them are stylised as an apothecary’s office, a healer’s house, an alchemist’s laboratory, etc.