The Kyiv’s St. Nicholas Catholic Cathedral was built in the Neo-Gothic style in 1899–1909 by the architect Władysław Horodecki to Stanislaw Wołowski’s design. Count Władysław Michal Pius Branicski gave money and a permit for its construction. St. Nicholas Catholic Cathedral became the second Roman Catholic church in Kyiv after the St. Alexander Cathedral. This is one of two Roman Catholic churches in Kyiv built in the pre-revolutionary time. It was built in the Neo-Gothic style by the famous architect Władysław Horodecki to Stanislaw Wołowski’s design.
Since 1936, the Soviet authorities used its premises for utility purposes. When the Bolsheviks came to power, the Cathedral was closed and a warehouse was arranged there. During the World War II, the building was damaged by shelling and restored afterwards, but the authentic stained-glass windows and paintings were destroyed during the restoration. After the repairs, the building was handed over to the Kyiv State Regional Archives, and a station for Silencing ‘enemy’ radio signals was placed in the towers.
In 1979, instead of an altar, an organ was installed in the church, turning the shrine into the Republican House of Organ and Chamber Music. Services resumed here only in 1992. Also, before the fire of 2021, concerts of organ and chamber music were held in St. Nicholas.
After Independence, St. Nicholas Catholic Cathedral was divided between the National House of Organ and Chamber Music and the parish of St. Nicholas of the Roman Catholic Church. In autumn of 2021, a fire broke out in the cathedral and it is awaiting reconstruction.