St. Michael's Square
Mykhailivska Square in front of the entrance to the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery appeared on the map back in the 12th century. Therefore, it has every right to be considered one of the oldest squares in Kyiv.
The Square acquired its current appearance in the mid-19th century, after the space between the St. Sophia and St. Michael’s Cathedrals was divided by the building of the so called Reception Offices. The modern name first appeared in 1869 and was came back in 1991, following several renames.
In the 1930s, the Soviet authorities planned to relocate the government quarter there. For that reason, a number of historical buildings were destroyed, including the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Cathedral. However, only the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine was constructed as planned. The Square returned its authentic appearance only in the time of Ukraine’s independence. Its compositional centre was the monument to Princess Olha, restored after being dismantled in 1923, surrounded by the sculptures of Saint Apostle Andrew the First-Called and enlighteners Cyril and Methodius.
Don’t worry, the police will help you.
Follow the link to see the map of police stations or consulates:
Use a taxi service:
Or municipal services: