The Pokrovska Street is one of the oldest streets of Podil and entire Kyiv, running from Andriivska Street to the Square of Contracts. The first mentions date back to the 15th century. However, it was then called Hnyla, because of permanently standing water that flowed down from the surrounding hills. In 1685, the Church of the Intercession was built on the Street, hence its contemporary name.
Before the fire of 1811, Pokrovska Street was the main street of Podil and had mostly brick buildings which preserved its original layout till the present day. Among the most famous sites on the Street are the Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin, the Greek-Catholic Church of St. Nicholas, the House of Widows, the old House of Contracts where the 100th Lyceum currently operates, Samson Strelbytskyi’s Manor, Nazarii Sukhota’s House, etc.