Adam Snizhko was a well-known Kyiv businessman, the owner of several brick factories in the city. In 1901, a grand mansion was built on the then Karavaiivska Square (now Lva Tolstoho Square) for his children Serhii Snizhko and Olena Khlebnikova, to the design of Mykhail Artynov. The house had a large attic, a minaret, and richly decorated façades, for which it is sometimes called the gingerbread house. There were shops and hairdressers’ parlours on the ground floor, and apartments for rent above. The house was seriously damaged during the World War II and was restored in the 1950s with a modified roof and more modest decor.