The Squarewas founded in 1036, following the construction of the St. Sophia’s Cathedral and was called Starokyivska at that time. The veches, markets and fairs were held here, but later, it was built over. In the mid-19th century, the territory of the Square was cleared and expanded, and in 1869 it received its current name. Nineteen years later, a monument to Bohdan Khmelnytskyi appeared in its centre.
The universals of the Central Rada were proclaimed and Hetman Pavlo Skoropadskyi was elected in Sofiiska Square. In the first years of Ukraine’s independence, the Square, continuing the historical traditions, became a place for holding political rallies, demonstrations, and other socially important events. The Live Chain campaign in the framework of the People’s Movement of Ukraine began there in 1990. After the events of the Revolution of Dignity, the main New Year’s fair has been arranged, and the country’s main Christmas tree is installed, on Sofiiska Square.