A commercial building erected in 1936–1939 in the Art Deco style served as the basis of the modern building of the Central Department Store. Its façade was given rationalised geometric shapes, and the corner was accentuated by an original stepped crown. After the Second World War, in connection with the reconstruction of Khreshchatyk, the department store was also reconstructed and significantly expanded.
In 1960, for the first time among the above-ground structures of the capital, its floors were connected by escalators, which had been used only in the metro until then. The last renovation took place between 2012 and 2017: the historic façade was preserved, but the interior of the building changed entirely. It became ‘airy’ and modern.