Shrouded in mysticism and legends, the Green Theatre was built in 1949 on the site of the New Pechersk Fortress that was part of the Kyiv fortified district of the mid-19th century. Back in the 1960s, the theatre was a popular recreation spot for Kyivites who liked to get to the shows without paying entrance fee, through dungeons and drainage systems.
Flower exhibitions were held here and sightseeing road-trains ran. However, after the opening of the Pedestrian Bridge and Hydropark metro station, the place began to decline and become an object of mystical stories. Their appearance was only helped by the presence of the ruined cemetery nearby, where self-murderers and dead babies used to be buried.
The Green Theatre repeatedly burned down and became the site of lightning strikes. It is claimed that nine underground floors were laid under the old fortress back in the 12th century, where the library of Yaroslav the Wise is hidden. Nowadays, the cultural site is being gradually restored. When entering the theatre’s territory, do not forget to mentally say hello to its main ghost, the Host, otherwise he may make you get lost in the underground labyrinths.