In the 11th–13th centuries, the Liadski Gate was part of the southern fortifications of Kyiv. The road to Klov, Vydubychi, and Pechersk ran through it. The Gate was situated within the modern Independence Square where Polish merchants, with whom the Gate’s name is associated, lived at that time.
The Liadski Gate was destroyed by the Mongols in 1240, but 4 centuries later, a new, wooden Pecherski Gate was built on the remains of the ancient rampart. Unfortunately, they did not survive either. However, the remains of both Gates were found, and Kyiv authorities plan to open them and make a historical museum around them.